The first people to inhabit Wheeler Springs was the Chumash. Wheeler Springs was home to a Chumash village - known as Sisxulkuy - during the Mission period.
Wheeler Springs (late 1800’s) was the location of Ojai Hot Springs, later known as Matlija Hot Springs. This resort operated throughout the 1900s, but closed in 1997.
In 2015, with private funds and a major donor gift, the Baptiste Foundation acquired Wheeler Hot Springs with full intentions of creating the long dreamed about Baptiste Sanctuary, a vision of the Baptiste Family and the legacy of Baptiste Yoga.
This property is important to the Baptiste Family for multiple reasons: A belief they hold to be true is being in nature is necessary for overall health and deep healing. When Baron Baptiste, the Baptiste Foundation’s Board President, was a young father he would bring his three sons to the hotsprings for weekend excursions. In the arduous search for the appropriate home for the Baptiste Foundation, Wheeler Hot Springs was listed for sale at just the right time.
In the fall of 2017, Baptiste’s oldest son Luke would marry his wife under the Ojai stars, right on this legacy property.